The Edinburgh Western Golf Club was instituted on the 13th October 1899 to play at the Braid Hills municipal golf course in Edinburgh. Located on the south side of Edinburgh the course opened in 1889 and remains a public course to this day.
From club records we know the first secretary was J.S.A Whannell and the first known captain was T. M. Robertson until 1927.
The first known competitions were played in 1902 and the same J Whannell won the McPhail medal along with the Carnegie Medal for the winner of the most medals.
The members roll of 1910/11 shows A. A. (Sandy) Armour as a Western member. The following year his brother T. D. Armour joined the club.
T. D. (Tommy) Armour went on to become one of the all time greats of the game winning the U S Open in 1927, USPGA in 1929 and the Open Championship at Carnoustie in 1931. He also won numerous other PGA events in the USA but not so well known was that his first competition win was the July medal at the Western in 1913 with a score of 77-Scratch=77. He also along with his brother Sandy, R Mitchell and Sandy Black won the Evening News & Dispatch Trophy (now known as the Dispatch) in 1914, 1920 and 1921. This team is still reckoned to be the best ever to play in this competition which while still keenly contested today regularly drew crowds in the thousands in the first half of last century.
Tommy and his brother Sandy were conferred honorary memberships of the club when they left Scotland to live in the USA in 1924. In May 1928 Tommy made a visit to the Western where he presented the club with the putter he used to win the US Open and Canadian Open the previous year. This putter is played for as a trophy every August.
Prior to his death in 1968 Tommy last visited the club on 30th May 1964 when he signed the guest book "What a wonderful day".